Friday, June 10, 2011

Today in the Shouf

Two young male goats fighting
Shooting for Helwe wa Moora
I simply could not have this baby goat killed for the rennet demonstration
Life as a goat, simply wonderful!
Ezzat Majed, a dedicated goat herder
Over 500 hundred goats

Today in the Shouf, I visited Abla and Ezzat Majed to shoot my weekly program. We had discussed with Majed a full demonstration on the making of rennet, naturally using the stomach of a milking calf. As soon as he came with the kid, I grabbed the goat and decided that no way would I be part of this. I took the goat and felt that feeling, like one has when a mother gives birthan indescribable feeling of love for this animal. I almost took it home, but I pictured the miserable goat in an apartment in Beirut, longing for his mother. The feeling you get in nature with this herd of goats, away from man's pollution is incredible. I felt at peace during the whole day, as if I had taken a long vacation. I'm sharing this with you to let you know that "heaven" or the likes is not very far. It can be a few kilometers (miles) away. You just need to disconnect and remember how our forefathers lived, perhaps by visiting your local shepherd. I intend to put these wonderful people on a pedestal with my next book.
















No comments:

Popular Posts