Thursday, May 13, 2010

Take the Time to COOK

I read an article written by Michel Ruhlam yesteday and I thought it was important for me to share it with you you. Why you may ask? First take a look at the article: michel ruhlam's article, author of many books including the Making of a Chef.

The message is clear, good things take TIME! You have to invest in the cooking process and experience to feed your family. There is something magical when all the love and energy of a mother / cook is transmitted in the food and consumed by the family. Food should be a celebration between family members. One meal per day, at least, together should be a necessary ritual.

When I first got married, years ago, I would spend 1/2 hour during my lunch break at work writing my grocery list to prepare a meal for my husband and I every night. At 5:00 o'clock, I would head to the market and buy all the necessary goods. I would come home and cook up a storm to celebrate our evening. Years later, the children arrived into our lives. The menu got more intricate as everyday the "plat du jour" had to contain all food groups.

I have become a very busy person too. like you...I work on books, I take care of my husband, 3 children, a dog, and a cat, but I make it a point to always have wholesome food on the table to feed my loved ones. I don't underestimate its importance and its significance. It's a way to show my affection. It symbolizes a maternal instinct. It reassures my family that "home is where the heart is."

I will always remember an instance when days after our wedding, I invited my husband's Belgium relatives for a barbecue. The house was not furnished, but the kitchen was equipped. That's all that mattered. I cooked up a lavish lunch for my guests. Uncle Henry, the jovial husband of my husband's aunt, took me aside. He said with a smile, "You will succeed in your marriage, I feel it! - the way that you feed your family will be the best way to unite them and to keep them close." I understood what he was saying because I had witnessed the same thing with my husband's mother as she fed her 5 children and husband daily. The dinning table was a source of happiness, of laughter, of quality time spent together... It was now my turn to set the example.

Having said all this, I hope that some of you may come to realize the importance of taking time to celebrate one's meals, be it as a large family or a small one. Life goes by so fast, cherish the moments and slow down to appreciate each bite alone ... discover the endless ingredients and flavors available out there...

Invite your children to the kitchen and make them part of  what should be the heart and soul of the house...and build memories of a lifetime together ..

No comments:

Popular Posts