Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Potato Kebbeh

Eating grapes from Mayrouba
Today I spent the day EATING! I visited Therese Sarkis at her mother's house in Mayrouba. We shot the segment for Helweh wa Moora : the making of apple jam. I will post the segment when it is diffused. I want to share with you a delicious recipe that Shahideh Saadeh Sarkis shared with me. She made this delicious kebbeh for us while we were at her house, among many other saj items. The recipe differs from the traditional potato kebbeh because instead of using burghul, she uses walnuts. Adding tehini also is innovative.The recipe is said to be from a neighbor in Jounieh who is originally from Deir el Ahmar in the Bekaa.

Shahida, an 87 year old woman, preparing lovingly the potato kebbeh
 Potato Kebbeh (Kebbet Patata)

1 kg potato
1 bunch of fresh mint
1 medium onion
1/4 cup of tehini
200 gr chopped walnuts
salt 

Boil the potatoes. When cooked, peel off skin while hot. Grind the potatoes in a vegetable mill in a large mixing bowl. Chop the mint leaves with a sharp knife. Do the same with the onion. Chop the walnuts or crush them with a pestle in a mortar. When potatoes cool, mix all the ingredients together. Slowly combine the tehini into the mixture. Thoroughly mix with hands. Add salt to taste.

Serve with a bunch of fresh mint leaves and onion. Add a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.

The final product

Therese, her daughter, fixing the trimmings for the kebbeh

2 comments:

sare said...

Hi, I'm Sare from Türkiye. I couldn't finished reading your blog yet, but I love this dish. As you written ıt is simple but delicious because I has potato and tahini.
Thank you for sharing your journey.

edgard said...

I love potato Kebbeh it's such a creative dish. I never had it this way though, I've had it baked in the oven with olive oil. I'd love to try this recipe one day though.

Popular Posts