Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Fish Tonight

I always say the best gifts are "food-related". Yesterday my husband Serge came home with a big bag in his hands. He was struggling to get in with his lunch bag, the bag full of "God knows what!" and his briefcase. Everyone jumped to kiss him, even the dog Belle pleaded for her daily caress. Then everyone went away leaving him with all his "stuff", ignoring his distress.  He got angry that nobody rescued him, put the bag on the kitchen counter and stated, "This is fresh fish from Syria from the a lake in Homs fished by Sleiman yesterday." Sleiman works with my husband at the family factory. I ran back to the kitchen immediately and we all started laughing!

So today, I was very inspired with this gift. I crushed garlic (lots), chopped an onion, squeezed some lemon juice, brought out my magical ingredient (olive oil from Beino, Akkar) and started on my masterpiece... all modesty apart, of course... It just adds flavor to the story... So, I thoroughly washed the fish with lemon juice and water. Drained the pieces well. Mixed garlic, lemon juice, added a teaspoon of paprika and poured the whole mixture on the appetizing  fish. I added the chopped onions, and chopped lots of fresh cilantro (coriander) to finish the work. A sprinkle of salt and the fish was ready to be cooked in the hot oven. It is very important to preheat the oven when baking, I always say... Now I'm going to sit down with my family and relish the savor of this delicious gift from Syria, Thanks Sleiman!

The fish before / after  it was cooked! Can you smell the coriander???? OK, I'm definitely hungry!


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Gotta keep up on my reading, I just read your latest 3 posts and I'm so excited for you on all fronts!! Good on you.. and I love this fish, my mouth is watering!

Dream It Up Cookies said...

The fish looks delicious! as does all food in Lebanon.

The olive oil you mentioned got my attention. My husband is from a little village in Akkar called Zirreh which is actually on land that is technically a part of Beino, but the people who live there (nufus) are from the neighboring village of Eyatt. Our house in Lebanon is built right almost at the Beino line, in the middle of a big expanse of Olive trees. That Olive oil is one of the best in Lebanon but not as well known as it should be.

Melissa said...

I am in love with your blog. I just found it and am so glad that I did.

It inspires me to learn to cook well.

Popular Posts