|This is the chef's spice box at Abdel Wahab, the restaurant where I got a training in Lebanon.|
Lebanese spices are important to flavor our local dishes, but do you know exactly what they are? I went to visit a local spice merchant last week and discussed the local varieties with him.
In a nutshell here is a simple list:
1. white pepper
3. falafel mix
6. red pepper powder (Indian)
7. red pepper powder (Aleppo)
8. black pepper
10. kebbeh mix
12. allspice (called sweet pepper in Arabic)
13. cinammon sticks
15. shawarma mix (chicken / meat)
19. camounieh (Southern cumin mix)
Of course we use bay leaves, basil, and many other aromatic herbs too ... Now you must be wondering which spice for which recipe. This entails Lebanese cuisine 101, soon!