Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The Book Mouneh is Coming Alive

After a few trials and what not... the book is coming alive... I'm so pleased to see it all coming together... Years of work, research, and worries will now all go forgotten when the book will be printed. This weekend Mirna Hamady, the graphic designer working on the layouts, and I met to discuss the changes and alterations needed to make the book SHINE! Last night, she sent me the result... I was so happy! It's starting to look like an actual book. What is so exciting is seeing the words and photos come together in an artistic way. We are presently conquering the winter months (December-January-February). I can't wait until we work on Spring, my absolute favorite season. This is how the book starts because this is when life starts... Trees start blooming with spectacular ranges of colors. I will ask Mirna to give me a spread so you can get a glimpse. If you know of anyone who would be interested to buy a quantity before I start printing, please let me know, as this would help me to decrease printing costs.... How unromantic to talk about that!!! I am thinking of doing an Arabic version too. I want all the producers and farmers to read every single word of my book for it is their book too. I could not have done it without them. I appreciate all their advice, their hospitality, their generosity, and more importantly their friendship.

I must stop writing now, for I have to write about Hadi Sayegh, the pine nuts (snoo'bar) producer. He has left a job in construction to work in nature in the midst of pine trees and forests... I envy him... His story is quite interesting... I shall develop it for you in the Mouneh book :)

A relative of Hadi who owns a production plant which produces mass quantities of pine nuts.


Hadi and the Sheick... when I met the Sheick at first, he was very cold with me... thinking I was a foreigner, who knows... at the end of our meeting, he invited me to come with my family to spend a summer day with his family in this hut to have a picnic. He insisted that I visit him again. Meeting him was definately memorable and I learned so much from him.

2 comments:

Nathalie said...

I have to tell you I'm very happy for you. I think your efforts to show the world a Lebanon through culinary arts is wonderful. Don't ever miss the States, Barbara, because here everything is just going down the toilet. The States does not have the Lebanon warmth I perceive from your posts. I admire what you are doing, both from a friend and an artist's perspective. I really wish you all the best with your new book (and I will finally get around to purchasing a copy of Man'oushe, I promise!)

Barbara Abdeni Massaad said...

thank you so much Nathalie!

Popular Posts