Monday, November 9, 2009

Coffe Morning at the Belgium Ambassador's House

Today I was invited by Mrs. Kathlyn Verkammen, wife of the Belgium ambassador, to give a speech on my work at their resident. I had two teams of producers come and discuss their story and show off their goods too. Nelly and Mona, better known as Imm Ali, joined us to make their delightful man'oushe with their homemade cheese, chanklish, and the traditional za'atar. Amal Harb, from Ajaltoun, came to sell and showcase her mouneh items. I spoke of my work: Man'oushe, the coming book Mouneh, and about the Slow Food foundation and Slow Food Beirut. The women seemed very interested and the ambiance was very friendly. We all discussed the important issue concerning pesticides and its use and abuse in vegetables all around Lebanon. I fear that now it's time to go 100% organic when all these issues are going on, especially that my children are eating all these fruits and vegetables. Don't these farmers have children? I am really concerned! Is making a dollar so important that they have to poison the society? What a crime... I shall be going to the farmer's market very soon to make a deal with a farmer to get poison-free vegetables! What about you?

No comments:

Popular Posts