Saturday, February 4, 2012

My review of Onno - An Armenian Family Restaurant


My friend Cherine, author of Le Liban Gourmand, has been talking to me for a long time about a tiny cute restaurant under a bridge in Burj Hammoud. Knowing how much I love and treasure Armenian food, she insisted that I go and visit Onno, a brother and sister team: Carmen and Karnig. Last night, I finally made the effort (after a long trip back from Baalbeck) to dine at this Armenian restaurant. The place is very cozy, it seats about 20 persons or so. We were guided upstairs by a friendly waiter who seemed part of the family too. The menu is written in Arabic, but luckily for me, an English version is also available. We were about 8 persons, mostly Cherynne's friends. We started with Arak then a flow of dishes started to appear before our eyes: Armenian salad (chopped tomatoes, cumcumbers, onions, green pepper seasoned with a tangy sauce), stuffed grape leaves (Armenian style with a touch of spice), subureck (of course!), mehamara ( walnut dip with red pepper paste, a delight!), itch (the Armenian version of tabbouleh), spicy fried potatoes seasoned with lots of coriander, mante (with meat - although I would have liked so much to have tasted the vegetarian version made with spinach). The dishes felt and tasted homemade. I like that! In fact, I love that. The selection of music was a bit noisy but a client finally stood up and turned off the stereo (as simple as that!). When the bill arrived, we were delighted because the price was very fair. It's very rare nowadays to find good food with good prices. You leave the restaurant with a full stomach, a bit tipsy with all the arak that you consumed. The icing on the cake was the two cats cuddled at the doorstep who have become part of the Onno family because the owner's wife simply cares and feeds these adorable felines. This is something that you don't see often in Lebanon too... So bravo Onno! I will be back again and again because you inspire good, clean, and fair....

Onno
Burj Hammoud
Aghabios Street
03-801476
Opening hours: 12 - 23 h
*Mon - Sat; if you are a large group the owners will open on Sun.

No comments:

Popular Posts