Saturday, March 3, 2012

Barbabara With Marleine Matar "Helwe Beirut"



Chef Marlene Matar is a graduate from Cordon Bleu, Paris. She lives in Beirut and has written 2 cookbooks. She gives courses in her house on a regular basis. You can find her on Facebook, if you are interested. I'm very excited about her next book project dealing with recipes from Syria, especially from Aleppo. In this report, she shares two of her recipes with us. The mehamara is the quintessential Aleppo mezze item. The kebbeh recipe is delicious. It was the first time I tasted such a dish. I hope the book doesn't take too long to come out, as I am dying to discover Syrian recipes. My ancestors lived in Aleppo for a few generations, therefore I am familiar with some of the foods and culture.

Marlene's Mehamara:

1 cup of breadcrumb
5 tbs red pepper paste
2 tbs of pomegranate molasses
1 tbs of cumin
1 tbs of sugar
1/2 cup of olive oil
2 tbs lemon juice, if needed
1/3 cup of water (more or less)
1 cup walnuts
salt to taste

No comments:

Popular Posts